Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Ukiortaami Pilluaritsi!!

     Or Happy New Year in Greenlandic! Most of the crew got together last night to celebrate Greenland New Year because they are 3 hrs ahead of us, and that would enable us to toast to the New Year at 9pm instead of midnight.  This was something I proposed to the group so that I could partake in some festivities at all since I had to work at 4am today and couldn't stay up until midnight.  Luckily our fun loving bunch was totally down for it and at 9pm we all shouted our versions of pronouncing Ukiortaami Pilluaritsi! 
     So we had an appetizer that went unphotographed,  but it was some delicious wine jelly spread with white cheddar slices. Then the meal itself consisted of my first attempt roast pork shoulder using the recipe my mom procured for me from Colombian master chefs (my uncles lol). I actually had to go to a meat market for the 1st time and watch the butcher cut the piece I wanted from an actual pig... That's when things almost got too real-haha! Then to marinate it I had to stab holes into the flesh and fill them with garlic and shallots.  Then before baking I had to form the flesh into the typical Ham shape and stuff it with green onions and thyme. I'm kind of feeling like a grown up after handling flesh that way! The  black beans were made by Evelyn and her hours of time invested in soaking,  cooking and seasoning them paid off BIG! She also prepared a garlic butter that went onto some toasted bolillo rolls that was perfection. Betty,  our honorary "spic"  stepped up to the plate to make the white rice that rounded out the whole meal perfectly! 
     There you have it,  3 Latinas dug deep into their ancestral roots  to bring forth this new years meal.  Here are some reactions from the group: Cuco said, " In a sandwich made with the garlic bread the pernil was scrumptralescent. "  Evelyn initially said,  " It's terrible,  no one else should eat it." Then later she said,  "The pernil esta bangin' dio Mio!".  And the best commentary came from our new vegetarian member,  Molly.  She said,  " Beans were delicious,  rice was great,  the wine jelly avec fromage went well together.  The meat looked like it tasted like meat,  so way to go savages. " haha,  priceless :-) 
-Cathy 
This is the pernil all ready to go in the oven......the humanity! 
 
 This is Betty pouring the au jus over the to go plate for Scott to eat when he felt better.
 
Here's another angle of the money shot.  

2 comments:

  1. GREAT start to the re launch of the blog! GREAT meal with GREAT people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savages! nice one. I can only imagine how tasty everything was, I know y'all are such good cooks :)

    ReplyDelete